Monday, July 08, 2013

Being Single isn’t the Worst Thing That can Happen

“Being single isn’t bad. What is bad is giving up hope on finding that someone special.” – Anonymous



I have lots of friends, some single, some married, a few are in-between relationships, while others are ‘kind of single’. What I’ve found is that many of my single friends are always seeking that special someone. There is nothing wrong with that, but settling just to be with someone is definitely not the way. Some reasons why being single are not the worst thing that can happen:

  • You see that couple that you admire so much? You just may never know that behind closed doors they are like strangers.
  • That husband/boyfriend/lover you see holding the car door for her, may just be the one beating her when you cannot see
  • That adoring wife, may be the most disrespectful person ever when no one sees or hears
  • Ever wonder why your friend has no time for you? It may not be that she or he is so smitten they don’t like to leave each other’s side, it’s because he or she is forbidden to talk to you anymore
  • Yes, she’s driving the most expensive car, she dresses like a supermodel, but do you know the price she pays to live that way?
  • Do you know the tears she shed in private and the nights she has to sleep alone even though she ‘has someone’
  • Have you ever wondered why he stays out as late as he can before going home?

Some Reasons Why Being Single can be Great

If you stop to think about it, there many benefits to being single; five simple ones are:

  1. You can do what you want whenever you want
  2. You don’t have to feel guilty about spending more time at work or studying. Single people can easily climb the corporate ladder or build their business as they worry less about taking time away from family so they can work longer hours. This also means more wealth in the long run
  3. You can decide to stay in and not worry about a messy house
  4. You can learn more about yourself
  5. There is no need to compromise or give up your dreams and aspirations



I know that companionship is important, but take your time and enjoy being single. Sharing your life with someone is wonderful, but only when it’s with someone worth sharing with. Stop lamenting that you have no one to love, or to love you, start by loving you. I am not saying it’s easy, but I am also saying enjoy being single and if it happens that you find that someone, you wont have regrets about never being able to enjoy being single before settling down.

The grass is not always greener on the other side, and even if it seems to be, it may just be artificial turf.

As a self described idealistic I never consider myself as single. I like to say that I’m in between romances at the moment.” ….Carl Henegan (Author of Yesterday’s Darkness)


Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love this. Been single all my life, and not once has anyone complained to me about not wearing pants at home. I like to think there's a connection, despite having no other relevant data. :P

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jessica,
I've found that the best part about being single is discovering that you are good company! It's important to enjoy your own company, then you will KNOW what you are bringing to the table in a relationship. My most important relationship is my relationship with myself. Even flight attendants admonish us in the event of a crash put the oxygen (give your self life) first, & then on the person next to you (companion). Great post!

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Jessica McCurdy Crooks said...

Thank you and yes, even though I am now married, whenever friends complain about needing to find someone I tell them to enjoy being single. I like your comment re enjoying your own company so you know what you are bringing to a relationship.

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger Jessica McCurdy Crooks said...

Thanks for making me smile, Brandon and thank you for visiting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home