Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Looking Back

Can you believe that it’s just a few days until Christmas, already? It’s hard to believe that another year is about to end. When I was a child I was so sure the world would have ended before we reached the year 2000. It was just incomprehensible to me that we could live so long; yet here we are barreling thru the 2000s. I found myself doing some retrospection, looking at all the ways things have changed since I was born:

- Computers are in most homes
- Cell phones are almost a body part, there are few persons who does not own at least one
- Email, instant messaging, voice mail…
- CD-ROMs, DVDs…what’s a floppy disk?
- Ebay
- Penpals are now cyberpals

In addition to all of the above, there’s also the change to the English Language…so many new words have evolved and the meaning of others have changed. I’m sure if I had more time I could increase my list tremendously.

I wonder how many persons take a moment at this time of year to give thanks for all the blessings of the year so far. This is always a bitter-sweet time of year for me as I miss my darling mom more than ever at Christmas. It’s hard to believe that it’s 14 years since she died. Thank God for memories…she’ll live on always in the hearts and minds of those who loved her.

Well, I still have to get a Christmas tree for my little man, Jalen. I know that he’s going to find ingenious ways of getting to it…his dad will have to work on making sure he does not succeed. This will be his second Christmas and I’m so excited. It’s been a long time since I’ve been truly excited about Christmas, but Jalen has brought back the joy of Christmas…it’s a time for children.

2 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Blogger thewriterslife said...

Jess, where have you been, girl? I miss you in the group and hope nothing's wrong.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Angela Chen Shui, "The Soul Alignment Coach" said...

Hi, Jess!
Yep... many, manyyyy changes. I tell my children how I used to spend my days and they stare blankly at me.... outside playing in dirt? with dog? where was the TV, gameboy???? ;-)

Hope you continue to post.... nice to meet a Jamaican Sista!

Angela.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home