Sunday, July 15, 2012

Letter To My Mother

A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity. It dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path…Agatha Christie

Dear Mom,

There are days when I miss you more than words can explain. You were my best friend, my protector, my counselor, you were simply, mama. I knew that I could conquer all because you believed in me. You taught me never to use the word ‘can’t’ and to believe in myself. You encouraged my dreams – never once telling me I could not achieve them. 

Dear mom, you taught me to be strong, to hold my shoulders back and my head high in adversity. I have tried to do just that, but there are days when I need my mom. I need you to hold my hands and comfort me. There are days when I want to simply be a child again and have you make a fuss over me. 

There are things I want to talk about, ideas to share, hidden fears that only you would understand. I play them through my mind and try to think would you would have said or done. I do remember that you always believed that everything works out in the end. I hold steadfast to that belief. 

I’m a mom now, myself. I know that would have surprised you, I was so adamant about not having kids. I can just see you looking at me with that all knowing smile. I wish you were here for me to tell you how much I admire you. To get words of guidance in growing my son – for simply being me.

He asks about you all the time. I’m glad, as it helps me to paint a picture of my mom for him to remember as he grows. One day, I said how much I missed you, and he drew a picture, painted a big heart on it. He said that it was to remind me of you and for me to remember that you will always love me no matter what. 

It’s sad that I never got to say goodbye, and even though it has been so many years, I miss you still. I long to hear your voice, talking, singing but most of all, I miss your laughter. I miss your quiet strength, the way you dealt with trials. Sometimes I try to be like you, but I’m not always successful. I know you would still be proud of me, encouraging me to keep trying. 

I’ve not fulfilled all my dreams, mom, but I’ve done the best I can. I’ve not given up on all of them, but some like my youth are disappearing in the mist of time. But, if you were here, you’d still be proud of me… of that I’m sure.

I love you mom.
                                                  Hugging Mom/Daughter

I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life. – Abraham Lincoln

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

Oh, this brought tears to my eyes. My father-in-law passed away a couple of weeks ago, and watching my husband deal with his grief has brought back many thoughts of losing my own parents, particularly my mother. He said just this weekend that he still finds himself reaching for the phone to call and see how his dad is doing, and then he remembers; I had to tell him that doesn't really ever go away, though it will happen far less frequently as time passes. But it's been almost 20 years since I lost my mom, and I still have moments where something happens and my first thought is that I can't wait to tell her about it.

This really is a beautiful message; thanks for sharing.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Jessica McCurdy Crooks said...

Cheri,

Thank you for commenting - I sure do understand the pain your husband is going thorugh. Your're so right, it never does go away, but the frequency diminishes. It will be 21 years in August and I still miss Mom so much. There is so much I want to share with her at times.

Thank you for reading and responding. It means a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home